KendallvilleArea Improvements Project
Indiana Michigan Power representatives plan power grid improvements for customers in northeastern Indiana.
The Kendallville Area Improvements Project involves:
- Building Henderson Substation located at the intersection of West North Street and Goodwin Place
- Upgrading Kendallville Substation located at the intersection of South Orchard Street and West Lisle Street
- Upgrading equipment at Bixler Substation located off Production Road
- Building approximately 3.5 miles of 138-kilovolt (kV) transmission line between the Kendallville Substation and the proposed Henderson Substation
- Building approximately 3 miles of 138-kV transmission line between the proposed Henderson Substation and Bixler Substation
The project improves electric service reliability for customers by providing an additional power source in the area and upgrading electrical equipment that dates back to the 1960s. These upgrades reduce frequent equipment maintenance and the number of temporary power outages when equipment maintenance is required.
Company officials expect construction to begin early 2023 and conclude fall 2023.
I&M representatives announced the final proposed route for this project. Feedback provided from the community helped determine this route.
We invite you to join us for a virtual open house to learn more about the project and share your input, particularly on possible route options for the new power lines. Provide comments using the contact form at the bottom of this page. Please share your input by Monday, July 12.
The project involves installing steel poles.
Typical Pole Height: Approximately 85 feet*
Typical Right-of-Way Width: Approximately 100 feet*
* Exact structure, height and right-of-way may vary