The Marcellus Area Improvements focuses on enhancements to the electric transmission system in Cass, Van Buren and St. Joseph counties. Replacing the aging infrastructure in this area is necessary to better serve the customers across this region and to ensure compliance with federal requirements for adequate infrastructure. Potential future reliability issues will be addressed by reinforcing, strengthening and providing electric stability to Western Michigan.
Major project details include
- Constructing two new substations (Stinger and Brody)
- Retiring two aging substations (Marcellus and Nicholsville)
- Building two new 138 kV transmission lines, between 2 and 3.5 miles long, to exit out of the new substations
- Connecting the Stinger and Brody substations with a new 2 mile 138 kV transmission line
- Retiring 13 miles of aging Marcellus-Valley 34.5 kV transmission line